Thursday, August 7, 2008

Step 3: The Crumb Coat

This is pretty much where I gave up on the techniques of Video Lady. This crumb-coat is supposed to be a very thin coat of frosting to hold the crumbs onto the surface of the cake so they don't show on the finished product. Video Lady even went so far as to use a strip of paper to smooth the cake on all sides from bottom to top. (I did not smooth it that much, and was lucky enough to have the alternative she suggested- an off-set spatula.)



After the crumb-coat was on the cake, I had to freeze it for 45 minutes for it to set. We had to make room in the big freezer for the cake plate, which included figuring out how to suspend the pedestal between some frozen spinach dip and a box of Cheerios. (If you want to know why I have cereal in my freezer, come back Saturday to read about the great grocery deals I got this week!) So far, so good.


I got so preoccupied with positioning the plate in the freezer that I forgot to take pictures of the finished crumb-coat. This is what it looked like stacked up on the plate, before I put the crumb-coat on. (I even used the parchment paper strips recommended by Video Lady to keep frosting off of the serving plate.)




Coming Soon.....Step 4: Finishing the Frosting

No comments: