Thursday, August 7, 2008

Step 4: Finishing the Frosting


After doing a little time in the freezer, the cake was ready for some good amounts of frosting. I tried to make it swirly like Video Lady described as "billowing fabric," but I'm pretty sure I fell short in that area. It was nice knowing no one but my happy-to-be-5 daughter would be critiquing my skills. (And don't forget, she has never seen Video Lady's rock-star version.)


Overall I was happy with how the large amounts of frosting covered the uneveness of the cake layers. Chris was impressed with the outcome (but I don't think he looked too closely at Video Lady's cake, either).




Once the skirt was done, I had to wrap Barbie in Press N' Seal. I then discovered that she was too tall for the cake, with everything above her thighs sticking out of the top. I solved this by turning Ballerina Barbie into Contortionist Barbie. I used a couple of rubber bands to bend her legs backward. Then she fit fine. I'm hoping the physical effects are not permanent.








Once Contortionist Barbie was stuck into the cake, I "piped" some frosting on her bodice. Really I just used a Ziploc bag with the hole cut a little-too-large. The instructions say to make rosettes, and by golly that's exactly what Video Lady did. Not me- mine are more like pebbles of frosting. They eventually all blended together. Here's what she looked like before I finished her hair, wiped off the plate, etc., etc.

Stay tuned for Step 5: The Finished Product

No comments: